Freedom from religious obsession is possible.
These steps are suggested as a program of recovery:
1. We admitted we were obsessed with religion - that our thinking had become irrational.
2. Came to believe that reason and education could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to take our will and our lives into our own hands.
4. Made a searching and fearless intellectual inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to ourselves, and to another human being the extent of our delusions.
6. Were entirely ready to abandon our churches, mosques, and temples.
7. Humbly asked our fellows for support and guidance.
8. Made a list of all gods we had worshipped, and became willing to abandon them all.
9. Made direct efforts to remove these deities from our lives, and to cease invoking them against others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and if we prayed, promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through study and education to improve our conscious contact with the real world, wishing only for rationality and the ability to seek it out.
12. Having had an intellectual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to theists, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.